Thursday 23 February 2012

Agnosticism / Atheism: On Diversity, and the Lack Thereof...

Agnosticism / Atheism
Get the latest headlines from the Agnosticism / Atheism GuideSite. // via fulltextrssfeed.com
On Diversity, and the Lack Thereof...
Feb 23rd 2012, 19:31

It's been brought to my attention, publicly and privately, that the finalists for the various categories in the Agnosticism / Atheism Readers' Choice Awards are lacking in diversity (mostly). All I can say is: yeah, you're right, the finalists are almost entirely white and male and, yeah, you're right that that's a problem.

That's partly my fault. If I had been paying closer attention, maybe I would have noticed and been able to do something about it. But there's some blame to spread around, too - how come more readers didn't submit a more diverse selection of nominees? Yeah, you, sitting at the computer - I'm talking to you.

But it's mostly me. I'm the one doing this, so ultimately the responsibility for whatever happens lies on my shoulders.

So what should I do about it? It's easy enough to sit here and observe that there's a problem, but nodding my head agreeably doesn't accomplish much. Unfortunately, I don't actually have any answers at the moment.

For one thing, there are a lot of constraints imposed on me by the general structure of the event. I can't, for example, set my own timetable to accommodate a solution, no matter how good the solution might otherwise be.

For another, it has to be a solution that is still fair and still reflects what this is: Readers' Choice. I can't simply pick a list of finalists from a diversity hat.

So this is something that I'm going to be thinking about. Fortunately there is time to come up with a solution. And, even better, some very smart people have been trying to help by giving me advice and feedback. I think I'm much more likely have a workable, fair solution because of their kind generosity.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment